Monday, January 24, 2011

Award


Got this from Fasha. Adoiiii....sungguh tak layak menerima this award but thanks anyway Fasha dear. So kena jawab soalan yer? Susah ni but let's see...

Apakah masakan pertama yang anda masak dan bilakah anda mula memasak?

Actually I can't remember. Would goreng ikan and goreng keropok be considered as masakan? Yang tu primary school dah kena buat but my guess, a full-fledged dish would be cucur bawang sebab when I was anak dara pingitan kat Assam Kumbang Taiping nun, my Mama selalu suruh buat teh and hidang whatever finger food yang ada or boleh masak kat dapur untuk her friends and my Opah's friends yang bertandang kat rumah and there was always someone coming especially dalam pukul 3 tu when it was so syok to take my afternoon nap. So kalau dah nampak kereta neighbours masuk gate jer, saya pun kena memulakan tugasan paksa rela itu and the easiest to be done in a jiffy would be cucur.

Sapa yang menggalakkan anda masak…

Hmmm....at first cooking was a chore, and selalu kalau my Mama suruh masak, ada jer alasan...yang paling kuat is of course nak buat homework. But I suppose since I'm the only girl in the family, dari kecik dah kena tolong Mama/ Opah kupas bawang la, kukur kelapa la (ni paling saya tak suka ok), kopek ikan bilis la....maybe the interest sedar tak sedar melekat juga seeing that my Opah is a fabulous cook and she reigned as the Master Chef in our family for many-many years until her numerous strokes rendered her immobile and my Mama takes over. My regret is not compiling my Opah's recipes when she was in her heyday. The recipes are all in her head and she goes around cooking by agak2x and always the dishes would come out perfect. When she was well, I once asked her whether we can switch brains and she just laughed it off.

Masakan yang paling anda suka masak dan digemari orang2 kesayangan anda

If it were up to me and my kids, I like cooking western dishes, savoury and sweet dishes alike tapi hubby dearest is a Nasi Man....pening dia kalau tak dapat his daily dose of nasi such that the rice cooker is our constant companion kalau berjalan. Masak nasi dalam toilet pun jadi to avoid the smoke alarm being trigerred. Ada sekali tu tak ada plug point dalam toilet so berselimut la rice cooker tu with a wet towel while happily bubbling away.

Tag 5 orang blogger masak yang sering berkunjung ke blog anda..
Jangan risau kalau anda tak ada masa atau malas untuk membuat soalan di atas, kumpulkan saja award ini dan tampalkan di dinding Blog anda!

I don't have many that frequent my blog because it started as a semi-private blog specially for my eldest daughter in Malaysia, families and close friends to keep up with us. here Then when Fasha and Mami linked us last year, we now see a teeny weeny bit more traffic. So, rasa2x macam tak dapat cukupkan 5 blogger masak jer yang selalu berkunjung kat sini for me to give the award to although I'd love to give it again to Fasha, my cousin Wiz, my cousin Alin and Mami. So what's left are the following....

Wid he..he..sorry babe....your Kak Yang was already tagged by Fasha and Alin was tagged by Ija, so that leaves you my dear to be tagged by me. Anyways, your cookies and brownies rock! And the latest I heard, your nasi kerabu too!

Miaw, my cousin Yop's wife and SIL to both Wiz and Wid. She's the master of chocolates. Her other signature dish is bread and butter pudding.

Millipedemom, she's Wid's friend who's Fish Pie recipe I absolutely love to make. Her other recipes are equally yummy.

Done with the questions, now I would like to share a recipe for popiah basah. The recipe is courtesy of Wiz's good friend Linda who's also my friend now. She based her recipe on Kapten Redeye Mom's recipe which she tweaked here and there. She's one great lady and a very warm hostess to all her guests...welcoming them with open arms including me whom she's never met before. Memang ramai friends and families singgah her place in Newcastle, murah rezeki Linda sekeluarga, insyaAllah. I wish I can tag her but she doesn't have a blog. Must ask her to start one, she'd be a great blogger I just know. Anyway, thank you so very much Linda (and Kapten Redeye) for a wonderful recipe, terubat my kerinduan for popiah basah kat Ampang Park which used to be my staple diet.


Kulit Popia

Bahan-bahan

Tepung gandum 1 Kg

Putih telur 2 Biji

Garam

(I added 2 tbs cuka makan)

(Like Linda, I added 2 tbs oil)

Cara Membuat Adunan

1.Bancuh tepung dengan air bercampur garam

2.Pukul putih telur hingga kembang

3.Masukkan putih telur ke dalam adunan tepung tadi

4.Gaul hingga sebati.Pastikan adunan boleh dijemput. (Texture is like cucur udang kental)

5.Simpan di dalam peti ais selama setengah hari - rehatkan tepung tu

Cara membuat kulit popia

1.Keluarkan tepung dari peti ais, biarkan buat sementara waktu at room temp.

2.Sapu sedikit minyak ke dalam kuali. (I used non-stick pan and the oil in the batter prevents it from sticking anyway)

3.Satu kali sapuan minyak boleh digunakan untuk membuat 3 kulit popia

4.Jemput kulit popia dan letakkan atas kuali - pakai tangan, starting from the outer circle to the inner part.

Inti Popia

Bahan-bahan

(I added segenggam udang kering ditumbuk lumat and some fresh prawns)

100 g taugeh

1 biji timun

250 g sengkuang

(I added shredded carrots)

10 g bawang goreng

2 ketul tauhu (I omitted)

(Like Linda, I added shredded telur dadar too)

Cara menyediakan inti popiah

1.Celur taugeh

2.Cincang timun

3.Parut sengkuang,kemudian ditumis dengan 2 biji telur kuning dan udang/ udang kering (if using). Campur garam secukup rasa. (I added shredded carrots to the sengkuang)

4. Goreng tauhu, kemudian potong halus-halus

Kuah popia

Bahan-bahan

Kismis 2 cawan

Cuka 2 sudu besar

Cabai kering 10 gram

Gula 1/2 Kilo

(I added 1 tbs petis udang)

Cara menyediakan kuah popia

1.Rebus kismis,kemudian kisar dengan cabai kering

2.Masukkan kismis yang dikisar dengan cabai kering ke dalam periuk.Masukkan sedikit air

3.Campurkan petis udang (if using), cuka, gula dan garam secukup rasa.Masak dengan api yang kecil sehingga kuah pekat


Since ada balance sengkuang from the popiah, ada orang mengidam kuah rojak pulak so tak dapat kuah rojak Mak Bee, kuah rojak ni pun sedap. The recipe is from Kak Hanieliza's blog, terima kasih Kak Liza, mohon halal cut and paste recipe kat sini :-

15 biji cili api tumbuk (I used only 5 biji cili api sebab cili kat sini tersangat menyengat)
1/2 cawan air asam jawa
1 s/b belacan
1 s/b petis udang
1 cawan kicap lemak biasa
3 s/b gula (I used gula merah)

1 s/b bijan goreng tanpa minyak
1/2 cawan kacang tanah, digoreng dan dtumbuk kasar

Cara:
1. Mesinkan semua bahan A dalam blender..
2. Masakkan dalam kuali sehingga pekat
3. Bila telah sejuk masukkan kacang tanah tumbuk dan bijan.

7 comments:

  1. There were always guests kan kakyong during those days. Makcik2 yg datang and our mums would say how terrible a perangai we are compared to other gadis kampung yg lain, haiyaa! But you were examplary coz I never saw you saying No to your mum or pulling a face.

    Yes, I wished we could have collected all the recipes from opah but at that time we were busy running away from the kitchen.

    I love assam Kumbang for the land behind the house despite the millions of kerengge, the noise makngah made when pakngah was late at mowing the lawn and there were so much of grass to mow pun kan, the blue kitchen cabinets which sometimes goodies could be found hidden way back. There were always food coz there were always coooking done in that humble kitchen but what I love most of all is when we sit together at the big table eating and sulking when yeop always got the best part of everything. Benc! tau but that made the memory more memorable.

    And now, having said that, it has become our time to take the lead in the kitchen departmentand behind you I stand helping the chef dishing out great comfort family food. See you at the next family reunion kakyong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ija...you make my heart ache for those wonderful carefree days. I used to kukor nyor and cabut kaki togeh, etc kat that patchy cement just outside the kitchen door while daydreaming bila la my knight in shining armour nak come rescue me. And when you guys come over yes how we enjoyed the berkelah bawah pokok rambutan, BBQ evenings or just plain sitting makan2x and gossiping kat meja dapur tu. Yes, we sulked when Opah always bagi Yeop choice parts and everything letak depan dia but I still love Yeop then despite that. Always tagging with him dari kecik. And goodies way back in the blue kitchen cabinet tu selalunya tempat Opah sorok. Sorok punya sorok kadang tu sampai berkulat!

    Yes, now it's our turn in dishing out the food. Adoihhhh....somehow Raya now is not as enjoyable as when we were kids. Mana tak nyer...now kena contend with the cooking and basuh pinggan especially kalau Bibik tak ikut balik. And I have got to turun padang 2 houses ok ie my Mama's and MIL. Ni la problem sama kampung..penat haihhh...lari sana sekejap, sini sekejap.

    Anyway, so glad that we're one happy close-knit family albeit a kecoh one. Looking at how my Mama, aunties and uncles together take care of Opah, it warms my heart and hope that my children will also do the same for me when the time comes. We're more like bros and sistas than cousins. For this I thank Opah for providing the spirit and basis for the close relationship since we were small. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahha the thing is yeop never perasan pun all these things going on in front of him. He was always blurry and oblivious of his surrounding.

    He is still blurry kakyong, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wah kak Fina! I miss popiah basah. Nak try buat la. nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zura...meh la dtg rumah weekend ni, rasa ada sebiji lagi sengkuang tu (kalau my hubby tak habiskan colek wth the kuah rojak la) which I bought dekat Chinese shop dekat Den Hague last week. Kat Hannover ni tak jumpa pulak. Boleh I buat another batch of popiah for you. Plus tekak ni macam nak makan mee kari, dah lama tak buat, so ingat nak buat weekend ni. Do buzz me kalau u want to drop by. You have my handy no. kan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kak YOng, thank you so much for doing the tag. By the way Fasha baru je bangun dari pengsan sat tadi sebab ternampak popiah basah kesukaanku!! OMGGG!! I have been wanting to make this popiah but I don't know what has stopped me from doing so. Tengok Kak Yong buat terus bersemangat. Unfortunately takde lah pulak diorang jual sengkuang kat sini but I think I am going to substitute it with Kolrabi. Thank you kak Yong for sharing this wonderful recipe! Oh I saw the last entry when Jaja came over. Seronok tengok you all berjalan sakan!
    Take care dear and kirim salam buat your beautiful kids and baik hati hubs!! HUGSSSS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fasha...look at my latest posting. Towards the end of the posting Kak Yong ada bagi latest version of the popiah recipe which I've tweaked here and there, boleh dapat around 24 keping kulit popiah. Yer la....I think boleh kut substitute dengan kolrabi, dia pun ala-ala sengkuang kan? Hugssss kembali!

    ReplyDelete