Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cake balls anyone?


Had a tub of buttermilk about to expire the next day so cari-cari recipe yang gunakan buttermilk. Found a chocolate cake recipe that needed just that, so dapat pulak cake yang teramat besar sizenya. Then had an abundance of chocolate cake pulak...what do we do with it? Easy peasy cake balls....kinda like truffles.

The very sememeh and messy-looking balls, dolled-up with the couverture and sprinkles
Alamak.....these had jerawat batu, lopak2x and freckles. Don't be fooled by their apperance though, cuba ngap satu dalam mulut...yumminess! Yang plain ones ni are for Mama's colleague and German teacher.


Red Velvet Cake Balls (source : bakerella.com)

1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake) (I substituted with leftover chocolate cake)
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.) (I made normal cream cheese frosting for carrot cake)
1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate) (I used couverture but any brand cooking choc will do)
wax paper

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them.)
4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)

I also only melt a few pieces of chocolate bark at a time because it starts to cool and thicken. It’s easier to work with when it’s hot.

Note : one can also add some leftover ganache to the crumbled cake mixture instead of the cream cheese frosting. This version is aptly named "Death by Chocolate Balls".

The variations are endless...plonk them on sticks they becomes Cake Pops. Coat them with couvertures of different colours, sprinkles and what nots and let your imaginations run wild!

5 comments:

  1. Kakyong, I think mix with cheese better kut to cut the sweetness after the balls are coated with the chocoalte nanti. Chocolate and cheese are a WOW combination anyway.

    I am still stuck with the cheese on my buttocks and thighs. Inilah penangan makan jacket patato Shirah and all the chips and cookies on our trip aritu. But it was worth the extra flab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ija, while I find the cream cheese-added ones yummy (but then I'm a sucker for all things cheese-d), Syirah finds the ganache-added ones nicer. I used dark couverture as the coating so tak manih sangat. Both me and Syirah pun tengah susah hati weight dah bertambah. Diet dah derailed ni cukup susah nak go back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kak Yong,

    I was quite motivated to exercise masa baru balik hari tu especially sebab ada MBTs. Then I gave my MBTs to Mak...coz dia complain sakit kaki and all. SO am looking to get a new one. Cari on Ebay je. Kat sini tgk kat Parkson hari tu, the cheapest pair was RM899!! tu pun sandal biasa je. A pair of nice kasut kerja design for men was RM1199!! Gila!! So..kalau ada sale kat sana..better awak beli ok! Tapi semalam mak called ckp dia dah tak nak dah sebab kaki dia lagi sakit...pulak dah....

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! Mahalnyer....Kat Hannover TKMaxx baru buka. I think it's a chain from UK kalau tak silap where they sell some branded (not designer) at a fraction of the ori price. I saw MBT sneakers mcm yg awak beli tu selling for 70 Euros and the ori price was 220 Euro. Tak der my size pulak. By the way, I think Mak Yong punya sakit kaki tu is on top kan so this Masai Barefoot Technology may not be suitable for her. It's more for people with heel pain mcm kita ni.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kalau ada size..beli je kakyong!! tak lawa pun tak pe. sebab nak beli kat sini mmg gila! yes..mak sakit belah atas.

    ReplyDelete